21 May 2006

Flick Rec

We didn't know what to expect from this film. Neither one of us 'fessed up to who placed it on the Netflix queue in the first place. So, expectations weren't even present. Regardless, this was a fantastic film. At some point in time, I'll watch it again. But, it's a little like Schindler's List in that you don't want to watch it over and over again--but it impacts you and you think about it for days afterward.

To End All Wars is about Allied POWs at a Japanese prisoner camp during WWII. I'm always intrigued by POW movies--to see the extent of suffering and the limits that humans can endure and still remain human. I often watch these types of films and give criticism to the characters, "Why is he doing that? Why is he saying that? He's going to get himself or his troops killed!" Like I'd do any better in that situation! So, this was an interactive film for me.

But, it's far more than a film about human struggles, teamwork, preservation of self-dignitity, and survival in one of the harshest situations that man can endure, this film is about freedom through faith and hope, self-sacrifice, and forgiveness.

For all of my military bros out there, you've GOT to see this film! Don't even hesitate, just go rent it and watch it tonight. Do it!

For you non-military folks, if you can stomach some violent scenes, you will really enjoy this movie. It's based on a book written by one of the main characters who survived the POW camp. I don't want to give away any more about the plot, but you must see this movie and you will be moved by the storyline.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I saw this movie a while back...it is incredible! Glad you got a chance to see it.

22 May, 2006 19:31  
Blogger Holly said...

I also loved this film when I saw it. Though, war flicks are some of favorite!

24 May, 2006 12:46  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home