04 April 2006

Duty, Honor, Chiropractic

"To whom much is given, much is expected"

I am so fortunate to be surrounded by so many incredible colleagues and professional mentors. I have no regrets as a student. There's no other way I would spend my spare time and school breaks than doing exactly what I've been doing over the past year, seeking every available opportunity to learn and to grow from the very best in the profession. Yesterday, I started working for Dr. Dan Yachter in the D.C. Mentorship program. I've been volunteering at his clinic for a year now, and have learned so much. Visiting his clinic has kept my passion for chiropractic alive through the drudgery of school. Now that there is a greater expectation of us in his clinic, so comes the responsibility. I will feel so comfortable setting up patients for films, talking to them about chiropractic and subluxation, and going over financials, that by the time I hit clinic this summer, it will be an absolute breeze.

In my previous academic & military career, I felt so blessed to have a handful of mentors. The number of people who now invest into my life and career has grown exponentially. I feel a rising sense of duty and responsibility to absorb, read, and apply knowledge in order to continue to become the best doctor I can be as a student and as a future graduate. My duty arises not only to challenge myself, but also to help lead our generation of doctors to make the profession stronger, wiser, and more effective in helping patients.

I could very easily help the local population in my husband's small hometown in Pennsylvania. But, I believe that I can make a far greater impact in a different location. I am not, nor have I ever been, eager to settle in such a small town so soon after graduating from Palmer. Fortunately, Steve also has a desire to serve the world through missions--so our urge to travel and to experience and to interact with foreign cultures combined with the flexibility of our chosen professions may lead us to some of the most unlikely places.

"The steps of a man are established by the LORD, and He delights in his way." Psalm 37:23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home