09 March 2006

Waltzing, Scrubbing, & Adjusting

I've been reviewing recent blog entries and I feel like it's bloody Groundhog day with all the whining about feeling so exhausted and all the studying that must be done. I know this can't be the most fun to read, but heck, this is called Perspectives of a Chiropractic Student and the underlying thread of this quarter is all wrapped up in one little weekend on March 18-19: NBCE baby!

Out of 54 students in Class 073, I think there were about 10-12 of us sitting in lecture this morning at 0830. 20-30 more waltzed in at the 20 and 30 minute mark after the lecture had begun. I expect this will be the norm--little to zero class attendance in the next week as boards draw closer.

It must be a tough gig to be a professor in our school. Lecturing to students who don't pay attention, talk in class, study boards, surf the internet, or instant message. We're in class because attendance is mandatory, and if there's a decent instructor, we pay attention. I think I'd absolutely hate to be on faculty. I can't think of anything worse. I'd rather be a maid than on faculty at a college--that's because I actually enjoy cleaning. Maybe I'm in the wrong profession. I think I'll scrub the linoleum in the kitchen and then spot clean the stove so I can take a break from studying.

Last night we had our first team meeting for our summer trip to East Asia. Steve ended with an awesome devotional based on a lecture by Dr. Richard Pratt and his book Designed for Dignity. I thought Steve did a great job introducing the concept of covenants and how humans are designed in God's image. Conveying such a point to a nation of people who think they evolved from primordial ooze sheds a whole new light on who they are and what they can eventually be. I'm summing up a 15 minute extensive devotional into a couple of extremely watered down sentences. Maybe Steve will let me audio record the future devotionals so I can post them on-line. He's really an exceptional teacher who constantly amazes me. He is going to be an incredible theological leader one day.

After the meeting ended, we had technique lab in our apartment. What happens when you get 5 student chiropractors in a room with each other (along with 4 other non-student D.C.s?) you get an adjusting party. "Hey, can you adjust me?" "Hey can you watch my set-up?" "Can you teach me that technique?" Yeah, it was sweet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I'd listen to his sermons.

And no, it doesn't bore me to read your complaints. They're valid, and I feel your pain in a different sort of way.

09 March, 2006 19:58  
Blogger Dr. Dolly (@drdolly) said...

Thanks for making me feel good about being a whiner!

09 March, 2006 23:00  
Blogger Holly said...

Hey Dolly - I was told to visit your blog and ask you about "Joint Manuever Excersizes" - so tell me about them.

Also - I went to East Asia in 2001 for a summer 'trip'! Absolutely amazing! I don't know where you're going but I know you'll love it!

09 March, 2006 23:10  
Blogger Dr. Dolly (@drdolly) said...

holly, this'll be a return trip for both of us...my 4th trip to east asia, steve's 2nd. everyone else is a first-timer. should be super fun!!

i'll e-mail you a list of the exercises, but it's best to watch them on pavel tsatsouline's SUPERJOINTS DVD--you can link to more info on it on danny's site http://www.dragondoor.com or maybe it's dragon-door, but you get the idea.

they're incredible exercises to mobilize all the joints in the body. motion is what maintains health, flexibility, and reduced inflammation. i'm going to recommend them for ALL of my patients!

10 March, 2006 08:52  
Blogger Holly said...

Rad - I'll check out the link on his site. Thanks for the info!

10 March, 2006 11:19  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home