10 January 2006

Toe in a Bucket

My toe was affecting my gait and irritatingly painful enough that I finally went to the student clinic to see if they could help me out with some rehab. Since I'd been a negligant patient and had not gone to the student clinic in over a quarter, they had to do a re-exam on me. What I'd hoped to be a 30 minute appointment turned into 2 hours plus. But, I got assigned a fabulous student intern. Justin used to be president of the Pediatrics club, so I knew a little bit about him, his philosophy and work ethic, from attending Peds club. Since he was waiting around for a patient to magically appear, and since I didn't have an assigned doctor, I asked if he'd be mine.

He was a great adjuster on my spine and he did some cool ultrasound work on my toe. Foot immersed in a bucket of water while the ultrasound wand is pointed toward it about 2" away. I honestly didn't feel anything and I didn't think the ultrasound was going to do a thing for me. But afterward, my distal metatarsal joint (toe joint) was much more stable. It didn't "click" when I walked and it didn't hurt as bad as it did when I came into the clinic. It still felt pretty awesome today, until I tried to do a few more back kicks while stabilizing on the left foot. I really need to be careful!

So, hooray for ultrasound in a bucket, and hooray for my new student intern. I like getting adjusted by my classmates, but there's something to be said for someone who has almost a whole year more of experience on my peers. He's so much better!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home