07 September 2005

Floods, muffins, and chook parm

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." --Will Rogers

Tropical Storm Ophelia is blessing us with some sweet rain and some flood warnings. Everyone around here is just hoping school will get canceled on Friday. Although for 073, Friday is really just a 1/4 school day anyway. I already have plans, I'm gonna make Rob Hoyt's delightful muffins. That's at least the name I've given them in Rob's honor. They'd only taste delightful to you health-nuts out there...For those of you who are addicted to refined sugar, you won't appreciate them as much, but you may find them dense and filling for back-packing or an after workout snack!

ROB HOYT'S DELIGHTFUL MUFFINS
1 muffin = 2 egg whites for each 1/2 c. of rolled oats
raisins for sweetness
fresh fruit of any kind diced to small chunks (pineapple, mango, and peaches work well)
few pinches of cinnamon

Mix all together to consistency of cookie dough
Plop in glass pyrex cups for easy clean-up
Bake at 325 for 30 min or more
(until crispy and brown on top)

I can't wait to make these with my friend Allycia. We're gonna make a huge batch and freeze 'em so they'll make great afternoon snacks throughout the week! In addition to healthy yummy muffins, we're gonna have another Thanksgiving feast next week. I think it's only appropriate to have a Thanksgiving feast once a month where friends come over. . .each family brings a lovely dish or 2, and we feast and fellowship! Last month was lamb roast with some awesome side dishes (mashed cauliflower, green bean cassarole, greek salad, mango pudding with coconut milk and blueberries). This month, we're shooting for dark meat chicken parmesean (chook parm) with Laura's homemade sauce. Side dishes of grilled asparagus, maybe a salad, and a healthy dessert. It's a monthly gathering of our Bible study group + a special guest. But, I just love an excuse to cook for others. . .and enjoy GOOD food in fellowship. It's always a treat.

My friend Libby is teaching me how to use HTML and other internet programs to upload photos to eblogger as well as photo albums. I'm having a tough time with Flickr...still playing with Picasa...I'll keep procrastinating from studying and figure it out in the next few days, or I'll end up posting everything through Hello. There's a reason why I don't do this for a living! But I am a sucker for aesthetic photos, and I love photos on my blog. I just wish I could post a darn album!!!!

Today was day 2 of crossfit workouts. They really don't take very long, but if done correctly, they hurt like a bugger! Monday was assisted Nautilus for 95 dips and 90 pull-ups. Had to modify it with counter-weight and negatives and different hand-holds. That wasn't even the real workout. The real workout was 120 muscle-ups. Those crazy things people do to lift themselves up on gymnastics rings. Today, Allycia worked out with me. Since we don't own any jump ropes, and they Y had poor quality ropes, we did a mod workout. Jumping jacks...no problem...I could do those all day (it really hurt when I had to do several hundred of them barefoot on concrete for martial arts). It's the box jumps onto and off of those step aerobic platforms that hurt like heck. My calves were cursing me afterward. We completed our workout in around 20 minutes . . .good thing since the kids group kicked us out of their room. . .and we both had meetings to rush off to, sans showers. Something you actually CAN get away with in Florida.

Looking forward to Season 2 "24" on DVD courtesy of Netflix. Just what I need as finals begin, it's all about balance, right? Or juggling?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home