02 March 2006

Ashes

Yesterday, I attended an Ash Wednesday service for the first time ever at Our Lady of Hope. I've only stepped foot into a Catholic mass once in 9th grade, so this was my second time to participate. My favorite Biblical reference during the mass was:
"Remember man that thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return."
There is beauty in the humbleness of remembering how God created us from dust and that our physical bodies shall return to dust. Ultimately, by learning more about the history of the church, I'm learning more about why I believe what I believe--areas where denominations of Christianity are in agreement and areas where they disagree. I understand the purpose behind Lent. But, I don't understand why Christians only emphasize fasting this time of year. I believe that it's relevant at any point of a calendar year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home