31 October 2005

Happy Reformation Day!

On this day in 1517, Dr. Martin Luther tacked the 95 theses to the door of the city church in Wittenberg, Germany.

When a coin in the coffer sings,
A soul from pergatory doth spring

Dr. Martin Luther was one of the many church leaders who spoke out and wrote against the Catholic church's quest for merits for salvation. When asked to recant his 95 theses and everything he had ever written, he replied the following:

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. On this I take my stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." -Dr. Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms in 1521. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home